“Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.” — Albert Camus
Fall is a splendorous time in the North Carolina High Country, and the season is a favorite for so many of our members. The air is crisp, inviting you to linger just a little longer over a cup of hot cocoa or a festive apple ginger spritz. Seasonal temperatures make your morning hike or afternoon horseback ride cool and refreshing (September high 72°F, low 51°F, October high 63°F, low 39°F, November high 53°F, low 31°F). Out come the cozy knits and blankets, favorite fall scarves and boots. Fall adventures with your horse are food for your soul, with copper, crimson, emerald and amber hues all around. Socializing with neighbors and spending time with family and friends is always in season when you’re here in our close-knit community. Plus, the fall calendar is bustling with things to see and do in the surrounding areas. Let’s take a look at fall 2023 on the blog today so you won’t miss a thing!
Elk River Members Enjoy Fitness, Fresh Air and Time With Friends on Our Greens
When you’re ready to get a workout in, we’ve got you covered!
- Our pickleball courts have been a hot spot all summer long—we expect them to be just as popular this autumn. Break a sweat, build muscle and boost your hand-eye coordination all at the same time.
- Take in panoramic views on our world-class Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course as you improve your swing.
- Play a match on our Har-Tru clay, known for leaving tennis players more “physically and emotionally satisfied than other surfaces.”
- Cast your line into the rushing waters of the Elk River as you enjoy catch-and-release fly fishing.
- Take a ride through our scenic trails adjacent to our Equestrian Center or traverse our “Happy Trails” off Elk River Parkway.
- Plan a picnic at Robbins Sunset Park as you gaze into the Tennessee mountains or bring the pups to the dog park at Riverside Park.
- Choose a hike that suits your mood as you explore with a friend—our Town Trail promises fun for all ages and abilities.
Out and About: Local Events
Fall is a festive time for the Town of Banner Elk and beyond. Here’s a handful of upcoming events—please visit their respective websites for the latest information.
- The Fall Color Ramble at Grandfather Mountain begins September 30, 2023. These short, guided walks highlight the mountain’s fall colors, leading up to an All-Day Fall Color Ramble on October 14, 2023, complete with fall-color activities and naturalist talks.
- Sugar Mountain’s family-friendly Oktoberfest will be held October 7-8, 2023. Attendees look forward to live Bavarian music, arts and crafts, authentic food and frothy beverages.
- Banner Elk’s beloved Woolly Worm Festival is coming up on October 21-22, 2023 at the historic Banner Elk Elementary School. The vibrant atmosphere includes juried artists, craft wares, food vendors, live music and Woolly Worm Races for a cash prize.
- Celebrate all things fall at the Valle Country Fair this October 21, 2023. Fair food, mountain music and family fun are in store—think Brunswick Stew, pumpkin bowling, bluegrass and alpacas.
- For little ones searching for something spooktacular, plan for Banner Elk’s Trunk or Treat or Grandfather Mountain’s Beary Scary Halloween.
Fall is a time of transformation. Thank you for being a part of our treasured mountain community.